WHAT TO EXPECT BEFORE AND AFTER HAVING AN IMPLANT
The following instructions are provided to help you prepare for your surgery. Following these instructions is critical to protecting your safety and surgical outcome, and may prevent post-surgical complications.
- Eat a light meal two hours prior to your surgery.
- If you have been prescribed any medications (Ativan, Valium) for relaxation during the procedure, please take them as prescribed. A driver must accompany you.
- You will be prescribed antibiotic for pre-medication (Amoxicillin, Clindamycin), please start them 1 day before surgery and continue until all have been taken.
- You will be prescribed pain medication, please get it filled before surgery for convenience.
- If you take blood-thinning medication (Coumadin), you will need special instructions. This will be discussed with you at your consultation visit.
- Take your usual daily medications unless you have been told to alter their usage.
- Wear loose fitting garments and comfortable shoes without elevated heels. DO NOT wear make-up.
- If you wear any dental prosthesis, please bring them with you to be fitted after surgery.
- Discomfort, nausea, swelling, and minor bleeding (oozing) are all to be expected for the first 24-48 hours. However, if severe pain, bleeding, vomiting or other serious concerns arise, please contact us for assistance.
- Place ice to the face on the side of the surgery for 15 minutes ON and then 15 minutes OFF for the first 24 hours.
- If relaxation medication was used, you must be observed by an adult for 24 hours. You cannot drive or operate machinery for 24 hours.
- Please continue to take your antibiotic until finished with the prescription.
- If you have any discomfort, take 1000mg of Tylenol every 6 hours OR 600mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours.
- Rinse with warm salt water for 1 minute twice a day (once after breakfast and once before bedtime). Avoid brushing the surgical site for one week. Avoid mouth rinses such as Listerine and Scope.
- Eat soft foods (soup, soft boiled eggs, cereal, Ensure) and take plenty of liquids for the first 24 hours.
- Return to our office in 1 week for a short exam and for suture removal.
- Return to our office in 1 month for a short follow-up visit.
- Return to our office between 3 and 6 months for implant exposure. The restorative portion of your treatment will begin then.
Mon: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 7:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: By Appointment
Sat & Sun: Closed
Let's Be Friends
Connect With Us On Social Media
Tacoma WA Location
Duke N. Bui, DDS, PS
5631 Tacoma Mall Blvd, Ste 5
Tacoma, WA 98409
Proudly providing dental services in the cities of Tacoma, Fircrest, University Place, Lakewood, Gig Harbor, Ruston, Fife, Edgewood, Parkland, Puyallup, Dupont, Lacey & Olympia