WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER AN EXTRACTION
The initial healing period typically takes from 1 to 2 weeks, gum tissue takes about 3-4 weeks to heal, and complete healing of the bone can take about 6-8 months depending on your care of this area.
Some discomfort, bleeding and swelling should be expected in the next 24 hours as your mouth heals. You can promote faster healing and avoid complications by simply following these instructions:
1. PROTECTION OF BLOOD CLOT. Maintain gentle pressure by biting on the gauze sponge that has been placed over the surgical area for at least 30 minutes. If bleeding continues, replace sponge with another as provided.
2. DO NOT RINSE or use a mouth wash for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours, rinse with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon table salt in 8 oz. of warm water) every 1-2 hours is recommended. The use of commercial mouth washes during the healing period is not encouraged.
3. PAIN. Following dental surgery it is normal to experience some discomfort. If medication has been given or prescribed, take as instructed.
4. THE TOOTHBRUSH may be carefully used in the area of the mouth not involved by the surgical procedure. A clean mouth heals faster.
5. EATING. Adequate food and fluid intake following surgery and/or general extractions is most important. If you find that eating your regular diet is too difficult you may supplement your diet with liquids such as Ensure. The high quality,
nutritional value of Ensure is important for prompt healing following such procedures.
6. AVOID all excessive activity, don’t touch the surgical area, don’t consume liquids through a straw, avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages until healing is well established.
7. FOLLOW-UP APPOINTMENT. You are required to make a post-op appointment in one week to check on the healing of this area. If sutures were placed they will be removed at this time.
Mon: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 7:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: By Appointment
Sat & Sun: Closed
Let's Be Friends
Connect With Us On Social Media
Tacoma WA Location
Duke N. Bui, DDS, PS
5631 Tacoma Mall Blvd, Ste 5
Tacoma, WA 98409
Proudly providing dental services in the cities of Tacoma, Fircrest, University Place, Lakewood, Gig Harbor, Ruston, Fife, Edgewood, Parkland, Puyallup, Dupont, Lacey & Olympia